Welcome Back! Communication from Superintendent Ritchie
Dear NLPS Families,
It has been a great summer of continued learning and engagements at NLPS! Throughout the months of July and August our school buildings were busy welcoming our summer school students, our incoming Freshman, and our incoming kindergartners. Our buildings were also filled with activity, learning, and laughter throughout our year-round (and multi-aged) grades K/1 and grades 2/3 classrooms. It has been so nice to work alongside so many amazing staff and to see a lot of student-centered activities throughout this summer season. On Tuesday, September 6th we will welcome back all remaining K-12 students and on Monday, September 12th we will welcome all Preschool students to their official start to the 2022-2023 school year.
School year 2022-2023 already beams with excitement and pride! You will continue to see our NLPS staff "Unite in Excellence" around all students, programs, initiatives, and families. This communication is one of many that will be shared with you. At NLPS we aim to keep our families informed and engaged through a variety of communication avenues. These include written communications, social media postings, live feed videos, personal phone calls, text messaging, and home visits. Please be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram and to download our very own district app. This app allows families to stay updated with district happenings and communicate directly with their student’s teachers. To download or learn more, click here! We value strong home-school-community partnerships very much!
In preparation for the school year, please review the following important updates:
- NLPS' calendar can be accessed by clicking here.
- NLPS’ Year round for Grades K/1 and 2/3 can be accessed by clicking here.
- Bus Routes for all students have been updated and can be accessed by clicking here.
- Lunch menus can be accessed by clicking here.
- School hours have been published and can be found by clicking here.
- As a reminder, school uniforms are not required this year. Please refer to your student’s school’s handbook, which outlines guidelines for appropriate dress. All handbooks can be accessed by clicking here.
- Positive COVID-19 case data will be shared daily on our website and can be accessed here. Additionally, please review our updated COVID-19 mitigation strategies here.
- Elementary after-school enrichment programs will begin on Tuesday, September 6th. Please be sure you have preregistered your child to be a part of this optional program. After school enrichment programs at the Middle School will start on Monday, September 12th. Families may register their child for after-school enrichment programs by clicking here.
*Note: After-school enrichment programming for students is provided by NLPS staff on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Wednesdays, staff from NL Park and Recreation provide programming to students so that NLPS staff can participate in weekly professional development activities. (Note: There is a separate registration form to register your student for Wednesday after school care from the Parks and Recreation organization. Please click here to access this link.)
- For the second year, parents will have the opportunity to participate and make a difference at their student’s school and community as Parent Ambassadors. This program allows parents to connect and build relationships with other families in their child's building as well as across the district. If you are interested in applying for a leadership position as such, please visit here, or email Jersa Valencia at Valenciaj@newlondon.org for more information.
I am so proud to lead NLPS alongside such amazing students, staff and families! Have a wonderful long weekend!