Magnet ProgrammingOur district is currently transitioning to Connecticut’s first, and only, all-magnet school district. New London Public Schools’ magnet plan is built upon a three-pathway system. International Education (Developing/IB Candidacy), Visual & Performing Arts and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) are the three distinct paths, with Harbor Elementary developing the blend of Arts and STEM and offering STEAM. A Magnet School is a public school offering unique curriculum and specialized programs, designed to attract a more diverse student body from throughout a region. Our Magnet Schools' focus on promoting academic excellence, diversity, and community. We currently enroll students from over 40 towns and over 25 sending districts.
Magnet School possesses distinct characteristics that include the following:
Along with the transition to thematic programming, the NLPS transformation included the renovation of Winthrop STEM Elementary School and Nathan Hale Arts Magnet School and now currently under construction are the two secondary campuses. These projects will renovate the existing middle and high school to support our thematic pathways and provide state-of-the-art learning environments for STEM, Arts, and International Education. To learn more about our construction projects, please click here.
- Theme or pedagogical focus
- Intentional diversification of the student body
- Alternative funding sources
- Choice or Alternative to traditional school
Choosing the right school district for your student is an important decision. New London Public Schools is the first and only all-magnet public school district in the State of Connecticut. Our district is committed to educating and graduating our diverse student community and specializing in our three themed magnet pathways (Visual and Performing Arts, STEM, and International Education).
All families newly enrolling in New London Public Schools, regardless of address, are required to submit an application through their SchoolMint account. Offers for seats within our schools are made through the SchoolMint System exclusively.
When you apply to New London Public Schools, you will rank your school and pathway choices based on magnet-themed preference. At times, and based on availability of seats and lottery draw, you may be offered your second or third ranked choice.
All Connecticut families are encouraged to apply. At this time, New London Public Schools is unable to enroll students residing outside the State of Connecticut.
- Find out more about each of the pathways by attending an Information Session or Open House.
- Create your SchoolMint Account.
- Rank each of the magnet pathways available to you in order of preference.
- Complete and submit your online application.
- After the lottery, applicants will be notified via email and text message of the results.
- Once accepting your offer, complete your online registration in SchoolMint and bring all required documents to the designated registration site to finalize your enrollment.
- Attend student orientation and let us get to know you!
Our Welcome Center is here to assist you though the Application and Registration process. Please feel free to visit us at 134 Williams Street in New London where our staff is available to assist you and answer any questions you may have about this process.
Computer Access is also available at our Welcome Center, located at 134 Williams Street in New London.
Please see our resources below for more information including:
- Magnet Lottery and Registration Timeline
- How to video guides for utilizing SchoolMint to apply
- Informational Flyers
- Tour Dates
- Pathway and School Presentations