School Based Health Center
- All New London Public Schools (except Harbor School) have a School-Based Health Center on site. The school district’s community partner, Child & Family Agency of Southeastern Connecticut, operates the five centers.
- A School-Based Health center is different from the school nurse’s office and your community primary care doctor, but works in collaboration with them.
- Students must be signed up for School-Based Health Center services by a parent/legal guardian.
- Health insurance is billed for services provided, but there is no cost to the family (no co-pays, deductible costs, or out-of-pocket expenses).
- Each School-Based Health Center has a Nurse Practitioner (APRN) and a Masters level Mental Health Clinician.
- You can find registration forms at the school-based health center, in your school nurse’s office, or at the Welcome Center.
- Or, you can register online:
- English online registration form: https://www.childandfamilyagency.org/schoolreg/
- Spanish online registration form: https://www.childandfamilyagency.org/schoolreg-spa/
Once signed up, students can receive services.
Medical Services Provided
Well-child care (physical exams)
- New-entry to school district
- Annual school physicals
- Sports participation physicals
- Camp or Work physicals
- Required for school (e.g.: IPV, Tdap, MMR, etc.)
- Recommended by American Academy of Pediatrics(e.g.: Flu, HPV, Menactra)
Acute care visits
- Colds, URI, strep throat, conjunctivitis, etc.
Collaboration with student’s community primary care provider
Refer for primary care provider(s) & HUSKY medical insurance
Chronic Conditions Education & Management
- Weight management (nutrition and physical activity counseling)
Mental Health Screens
Mental Health Services Provided
Psycho-Social Assessments, Diagnosis, and written treatment plans
Education on mental health topics and classroom presentations (psychoeducation)
Consultation to school staff
Referral to community mental health services
If you have any questions regarding School-Based Health Center services or would like to schedule a medical appointment, please call our administrative office and our front desk staff will assist you!
(860) 437-4555. SBHC services are available year-round!